That's wat i felt since I saw that documentary Mr Spurlock made, Super Size Me.
I hadn't count on my Kazaa to Download that documentary as there was really a limited no. of users who actually had the video file. But I'm sure glad I've gotten it, since I had missed the opportunity to actually see it at the cinemas.
ok. enuf of the piracy stuff. it's not the issue for today.
I think, that pple shld actually go watch it. Even if they dun have to.
It's really a fight btw the huge food corporations and a minority of health freaks(who actually know their foods) and the documentary though good, is a mere tiny step to victory.
I'm not going to ban Macdonalds entirely frm my life though, cos in the first place, i dun eat their food more than once a mth. sometimes, once in a few mths. As much as I deem Macs as EVIL, I think that we can live with evil some times, as the usual saying of "balance btw good and evil".
It ain't that bad in Singapore where I live as there is no Super size option like in the U.S., and though there is the upsizing option available, it's not a fave amongst us, not-so-giant Asians. Like for me, a petite(?) 5ft2, weighing 45kg, i prefer to have the normal size which is like 4 times smaller than the U.S version, or if i ever order the up-sized meal, it's becoz I'm sharing it with someone. Personally, I think that the U.S super sized meal will be ample for my whole day's of breakfast lunch and dinner!!
Oso, a difference I've noticed btw the U.S and Singapore, is that becoz of the cultural differences, becos Asians are still more conscious of their own appearances, not able to live with the "fat" status, we have this need of bringing down our weights instead of the Americans' way of "jus live with it" & "be happy with yrself".
Not that I'm saying Singapore is totally safe from Macs, the children here are still very affected. Obese Sing-children tripping over themselves becoz they can't see the ground, as i speak. But for adults, the thing that affects most is actually the dieting/slimming centres rather than the EVIL Ronald Mcdonalds. Y would they pay hundreds and thousands of dollars just so that they can get fat at MACs?? The adults are safe here, due to the constant need to be reed-thin. Thin is Beautiful.
OK. getting back on the track.
BUT, as the documentary presented, the Americans really have difficulties in rejecting the fastfood calling. And the govt, as much as they spoke of helping the citizens in their health needs, did little to prevent the fastfoods & processed foods corporations (yes, not only Macs. Herseys & other processed foods which u tot are ok plays a part in the coup.) in taking over the world. Reason?? Becos there's too much PROFIT in it for them. Y stop it frm growing when u can reap so much frm it?? Yep. Even the Singapore govt. Come on, our National Day Parade (NDP) was proudly sponsored by KFC, and all the kids and NSmen who performed there, was weekly fed with the juicy Fat Chicken which continually dripped oil whenever i succumb to the lures of sinful KFC.
Not that the Mac Corp are not doing any reforming activities. After the documentary was shown, Macs abolished the frightening super size option. with immediate effect. started to show health information in their websites. include Nutrition Calculator, as customers can now check out how much fats and calories and the GOOD NUTRITIONS they r getting out of the foods found in their menu. Lots of Sponsorships for Sports games, showing that "healthy side" of Macs, jumping ard playing balls and stuffs. lots & tonnes more of actions such as these. Yep. These are all PR. Public Relations. Their PR dept muz be really good to be making something so sinful look so good. Hey, I'm not complaining. I've got lots to learn frm them.
But can fast food really be healthy?? Image can be easily shaped by a good PR manager, u and I know. But can Fast food really be a healthy choice for meals??
Quoting the August Issue of the Fortune Magazine, Mr Matthew Boyle wrote,
" Two hormone-free, grass-fed beef patties.
Special low-cal, nonfat sauce. Organic red-leaf lettuce.
Reduced-fat cheese. Low-sodium pickles. Vidalia onions.
On a low-carb, multigrain bun.
Yeah, right."
Words can be so manupulative. Now we know. From a normal Mac burger consisting of more than needed amount of fats, a nice phrasing of descriptive wordings can make it sound so healthy. hey. dun laugh. it does work with some customers.
But again, let's face the truth. For here is the most powerful stumbling block of all when it comes to getting pple to eat healthier fast food. Despite the fact that there are so many issues concerning the world's health problems going on, most of us don't really want to eat healthier when we walk into a fast-food establishment.
...
..
.
True?
Do u by any means go into mcdonald's to order merely a Mcsalad?? oh yah, and even if u do, do u know a Mcsalad contains as much sugar content as a big mac?? well, now u know. In U.S, the salads are named as Premium Salads. In Oz, Salad Plus with their slogan, "nothing over ten grams of fat."
Oh, Really?? is that supposed to be good??? Is that juz wat we need????
hah.
fat hope.
it's more than wat we need.
ALright alright... Think I'm getting biased here.
I need to go get a mac to stabilise my confused mind.
For yr info,
I'm kidding.
4 則留言:
You are so making use of your project work to post this blog man.
If you're not working on the project i'm sure you won't make as much comments with such intricate details since the movie has long been shown over our shores =P
Good job though, but try not to be too fanciful in the words and give more of your own thoughts into the project, cuz whatever you said sound like what the movie critics had mentioned, but just with a slightly more facts/flavour involved.
Keep up the good work though.
know y?? that's cos McDonalds is the only think i think, dream, n speak of these days...
i've got no life!!!! no boyfren!!!!!!!! no love!!!!!!!!
Yada yada yada....
Next thing you're gonna say for your "anti social" way is probably bout your mum restricting you from going out, forcing you to stay home and have dinner with the family, bans you from using the phone and computer and making you do all the housechores and restricts you at the same time from eating too much but force feeding your sister who's becoming fatter than those who eat MacDonald's Super Sized meal.
I get the point.
張貼留言